Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution pertains to depositing and/or sharing certain content on a web hosting server run by a web hosting provider. There are different categories of hosting services used for various goals, so let's explore them. Thus, you can pick what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to set up a site, email box accounts, or to share files with buddies and associates.
- File hosting: a service supplied by certain web hosts, which enables you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole goal is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free file storage solutions are often supported by displaying advertisements next to the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a specific interval of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a completely fallacious interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would distribute the tasks at hand between independent groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various web space hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given suppliers offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting type is appropriate if you wish to share an enormous number of pics with chums or associates since the solution is usually free of cost. You will get a random link for each and every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution dedicated to tackling your e-mail aliases. Some distributors provide website hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an email hosting service. If you would like to open a mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a web site, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can set up mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video clip generates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have a problem with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will enable you to utilize as many videos as you wish without worrying about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to own a website. To some extent, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can set up databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At Free Hostia, for instance, you can take a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforementioned services in one location. There may be limits depending on the sort of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the customary email/file/video/image hosting packages that are conceived for specific web content exclusively.